Saturday, March 28, 2009

Operation Appreciation Day 7: Drive-By Truckers

I have had a whirlwind past two days filled with incredible high points and all-time low points (and I Love You, Man, which is pretty strictly in the middle). I will keep this brief, though: Drive-By Truckers are the best band of this decade.

If you had asked me earlier this week, I would have said The Hold Steady, and for the most part, their albums hit me at a greater core emotionally. But after looking at DBT's discography, I realized a few simple facts:
  1. Southern Rock Opera came out in 2001; Almost Killed Me came out in 2004.
  2. DBT have released 5 albums this decade, while THS have only released 4.
  3. While each band is responsible for one of the more far-reaching yet excellently executed concept albums of this decade, Southern Rock Opera perhaps reaches a little farther.
  4. I highly regret missing seeing them co-headline a tour.
Aside from that last point, I have to say that Drive-By Truckers may be the best band of this decade. They're consistently smart, rock hard, and manage to fill their albums with great, soft moments that are reflective and immediate.

Good night. I promise I will write more tomorrow.

No comments: