Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Operation Appreciation Day 9: Stardust

Forgot to post last night. Been sick. Sleep soon.

Okay, I will make a conscious effort not to talk like Rorschach.

AVClub.com posted this article about Willie Nelson's genre-hopping efforts. I have always had an affinity for Stardust, particularly, as it was either the second or third Willie album I bought (after Red Headed Stranger and maybe Songbird). The arrangements are unique, and he treats the songs with a jazzy delivery that swings a bit but also maintains a steady subtlety throughout its 10 songs. I can't even pick a favorite. Willie's version of "Georgia on My Mind" stands up to Ray's. "Blue Skies" is playful and wonderful... Well, I won't go through the tracklist. It's just all good.

Speaking of standards, I spent most of yesterday listening to a Billie Holiday box set. Can't say anything about her that hasn't already been said, but, well, that shit's awesome.

I will also offer this observation: No duos in the 80s were doing white R&B quite as well as Hall & Oates. Think about it.

And now, Lily brings a good point:

(10:55:34 PM) Lily: i always thought bon jovi looked in his youth like a giant pet rat
(10:55:49 PM) Lily: because of all the hair and mismatched clothing

Discuss.

No comments: