Monday, July 27, 2009

P!nk - I'm not Dead

P!nk's winning streak continues with I'm Not Dead, the followup to her breakthrough M!ssundaztood and I'm Not Dead may be the best trilogy of Thriller-like pop albums this decade. Thriller-like, not in terms of sales, but in the sense that on her albums, P!nk shoves something for everybody onto the record. Subversive pop commentary on "Stupid Girls," a sublime ballad on "Who Knew," swagger on "Cuz I Can," power pop on "Leave Me Alone I'm Lonely," etc. P!nk's voice always seems to be in great shape, launching between hushed whispers and raspy shouts from song to song. Even the (now) dated "Dear Mr. President" is touching for the conviction in its singing. I'm sure more of the non-specific references will become relevant in the future, if they're at all irrelevant now.

No comments: