Monday, August 3, 2009

blink-182 - blink-182

While either Dude Ranch or Take Off Your Pants and Jacket would be the definitive blink-182 album, blink-182 may be the most int. It's also the most conflicted: opening track and first single "I'm Feeling This" marries the adolescent bullshit ("I wanna go in her room/I wanna take off her clothes") with some tricky changes in tempo, which immediately sets the tone for the rest of the songs. You get the sense that the band might be a bit directionless, trying everything at once, from the ballad "I Miss You," the instrumental "The Fallen Interlude," or the fact that songs with choruses that go "I don't wanna go/I don't wanna go" and "Should I go back should I go back should I/I feel alone and tired" are only a couple songs apart. Overall, though, the increased ambition and restlessness has caused them to put a dark, Cure-like veneer over their brand of pop-punk (Robert Smith even shows up on "All of This"). It winds up being a fantastic stylistic choice.

No comments: