Thursday, November 20, 2008

Some Random Thoughts for the Week...

I haven't been able to be at this blog so much this week, but here are some random thoughts:
  • Chinese Democracy
  • I have heard Chinese Democracy!

    ...But I am not a Guns N' Roses fan. It strikes me as a set of songs that would have been a let down in '98, let alone '08. However, non of it is offensively bad -- but just about all over it is over-produced. The New York Times had a pretty good summary of it.

  • New Release Tuesday
  • No New Music Tuesday this week; I picked up Beyonce's first album because it was $4 used and Belle and Sebastian's BBC Sessions, which aren't really new music and therefore were not given a post. I need to pick up more Belle and Sebastian is my main thought on that situation -- the BBC Sessions are quite good with some interesting (if not drastically different) versions of a lot of their older songs.

  • So what have you been listening to?
  • Last week, I got The Complete Stax-Volt Singles 1959-1968. I've listened to 4 of the 9 discs - all of it, excellent soul music. Today, Nuggets came in the mail, which is probably another 4 CDs of 60s excellence. I've got a lot of music to sort through this weekend!


Here's a classic Otis Redding performance for y'all. It's a Youtube vid that a creative writing teacher had my class watch as his example of "Going out into the crazy." Best homework ever!

Otis Redding - Try a Little Tenderness

No comments: