Sunday, August 16, 2009

No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom

No Doubt's breakthrough doesn't age all that well. I was late on the bandwagon, so I'm more of a Return of Saturn and Rock Steady man, myself. Here's an album with a reasonable amount of filler and some key tracks, the best of which are the hits. Aside from those songs (which I won't even name. You know them.), the best are the title track and "Happy Now." The rest is the sound of a band having fun, but that never necessarily meant that you're having fun, too. I remember a conversation I had in high school, about No Doubt, around the end of Eve/Gwen Stefani's hit and when "Hey Baby" and "Hella Good" were starting to gain some footing on the radio. A friend asked, "Can we at least agree that Gwen Stefani ruined them [by making them more of a pop outfit]?" I replied, "No, I kinda like Rock Steady," to which he said "Ah, sorry. I have really good memories of Tragic Kingdom." I think that sums it up.

No comments: