Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Rhett Miller - Rhett Miller

Took me awhile, but I'll concede that this is his best solo album. Maybe not by far - I'm still really partial to The Believer - but its consistency has won me over. Without looking for a big song like his previous efforts' "Our Love" or "My Valentine," he's crafted an album that's quietly pleasing without being bombastic. That doesn't mean it lacks fast songs: "Happy Birthday Don't Die" rocks hard smack in the middle like a T. Rex song. The bulk of the album is quiet moments of simple pleasure, whether it's the gentle high note Miller hits on the word "says" in the phrase "Nobody says 'I love you' anymore" or the quiet backing vocals on "Like Love" (notice a pattern here?). Nothing here hits quite as hard as the aforementioned songs or "Firefly" (or The Old 97's, for that matter), but Miller's album would be perfect with a beer on an autumn afternoon.

No comments: